If your organization hosts events that repeat on any kind of a regular basis — whether daily, yearly, or some interval in between — make sure you are taking advantage of VolunteerHub’s Recurring Events option. This feature can greatly reduce your volunteer coordinator’s time spent entering upcoming events.
When creating recurring events, there are a couple important things to remember. First, a recurring event can occur only one time per day. Secondly, a recurring event must end during the same day it begins.
Just in case you’re not currently using this timesaver, simply follow these steps:
1. From the Events page, click the Add Event tab.
2. Enter an event name and then click on the Recurrence Master radio button. This will signal to VolunteerHub that this is an event that repeats.
3. Complete the general information sections (Event Information, Registration, and Email Notifications) as you normally would. Then click the Save Event button at the bottom of the page.
Now you will be taken to the Recurrence Master page, in which you will record the specifics of the recurring event. You will need to complete this section in or der to activate each individual occurrence (or instance) of the event.
4. Choose the appropriate radio button in the Recurrence Pattern section, and then designate a starting and ending time for your event.
5. Click in the field labeled Recurrence Start Date; a calendar will appear. Click on the appropriate month and day.
6. Choose the appropriate radio button in the Recurrence Frequency section. Then supply the required information in the fields provided.
7. You will see two choices in the Recurrence End Date section. If you are running the event for a set number of times, click the radio button next to End after… and enter the appropriate number of occurrences in field.
Click the second radio button if you wish to end the series of events on a certain date. Then simply click the adjacent field to bring up the calendar. Click on the appropriate ending date.
8. Click the Activate Instances button.
All of the individual instances of the event should immediately appear at the bottom of the page.
Congratulations! You’ve just created a recurring event!
“But what if I need to change one of the instances I just created?” you may be wondering. No problem. Just follow these easy steps:
1. From the Events page, simply click on the description of that specific event.
2. Then click on the Edit tab in the event’s Summary page. You may change a variety of specifics by “detaching” them.
Any or all of the following may be edited by clicking the appropriate box(es): time, description, location, event contact, registration details, and/or emails. Simply locate what you need to modify and click the box next to Detach…. Additional fields will appear in which you may revise any of these aspects of your event.
3. Finish by clicking the Save Event button.
Need to cancel an instance? You may delete an instance just as you would delete an individual event.
Now you know some of the basics of using recurring events. So, if you’re not already doing it, go ahead — repeat yourself!